Pages

Monday 8 April 2013

Review and Swatches: Rimmel Apocalips in Apocaliptic, Celestial, Stellar, Big Bang and Nude Eclipse

Pretty much everyone has heard of the Rimmel Apocalips by now. Hailed as a revolution in lip colour, these super pigmented lip lacquers exploded onto the market and onto a ton of blogs very, very quickly. I know a lot of people got bored very quickly of reading about these and I'll admit that whilst I'm not a fan of seeing the same products over and over, I just can't help myself clicking every single post that features them! I must be mad. It took me a week after release to finally track some of these down since my woefully poor local Boots and Superdrug simply didn't stock them. It's enough to drive a beauty blogger crazy! But eventually I had a nice little collection of the colours I "needed" (wink) and wanted to share my thoughts on them.

 

It's been said a hundred times but the packaging really is super cute and very functional. The clear base is ideal for displaying the colour and the meteoric lids fit wonderfully with the apocalyptic theme. As do the fabulous names. A* for marketing. The lids fit nice and tightly and I'm not at all worried about it coming undone. The wand itself works as an almost perfect applicator for this product and the well inside the doe-foot catches just the right amount for one full application. I've read some reviews saying that the applicator felt clumsy and applied too much product but I have to disagree. I work from the back of the applicator and begin applying to the centre of my lips. It's then just a case of flipping it over to add more product and smooth it over bit by bit. It's very easy to add too much if you don't go slowly and applying anything other than a thin layer will make a total mess (trust me. Oops.) The colours are undeniably beautiful but I do wish they had included a strong orange colour because Luna looked a little pale for me personally. Just think of the awesome names they could have for an orange! The only real negative I have at this point is the rather bizarre scent. A plastic/watermelon hybrid which does nothing for me. I really do hate melon.

Apocaliptic

 
Celestial

Stellar

 
Big Bang

                                 
Nude Eclipse

Nude Eclipse was such an enormous disappointment for me. It was just so wrong for my skin tone and for some reason it felt much drier than the others. you can see in the photo how it settles into my lip lines and just looks awful. As if I needed any more proof, the first time my boyfriend saw me wearing this he said "Why do you look like a chav?" Yes that's right, he thought I'd done concealer lips. Kill me now. However, I do quite like using this to blend with other lipsticks to create more of a pastel tone so it's not all doom and gloom.

The other colours however are just total dreams. Mega pigmented, smooth and non drying. I think my favourite is Apocalyptic - it's similar to Revlon's Raspberry Pie on me but even brighter. The darker colours do have a slight tendency to bleed (particularly if you apply them as poorly as I do)  as seen on the Big Bang swatches. They have a gorgeous glossy finish which does matte down over time but I don't find that it becomes uncomfortable at all. They also transfer onto EVERYTHING, even when blotted. You absolutely have to check your teeth before leaving the house with these. They do last wonderfully though provided you don't eat. One sandwich later and you will definitely be rocking the heavy lip liner look so do top up after meals! I've worn Stellar out to drinks though and whilst my straw looked pretty butchered my lips were still practically perfect after 2-3 hours.

Final Verdict: Beautiful colours that look fantastic but will transfer onto everything. Try at least one if you can, you might just fall in love!

Love them or loathe them? Do you have a favourite colour?

Lauren

34 comments:

  1. They look lovely on you. For some reason the formula just doesn't look right on my lips. Wonderful review and photos :)

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) oh that's such a shame :( glad you like the post :) x

      Delete
  2. Gosh I want all of these! The colours are gorgeous, I so so want to try some, can't believe I still haven't! I know what you mean about the scent of melon though - blerrghh! I actually think nude eclipse looks nice on you but maybe it's different in person :) fab review lovely! xx

    chloesway.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you! Definitely try at least one, you never know :) melon is vile! ergh. I think it's definitely worse in person. :/ should have uploaded a full look really so you can see :P x

      Delete
  3. I have Big Bang and I also find that it bleeds. I like it but I wouldn't wear it all day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. such a pain :/ I know what you mean, i wouldn't trust it to stay in one place! x

      Delete
  4. I got Apocaliptic as it was the only colour in stock at feelunique at the time... I love it and honestly I think it performs as well as my other favorite high-end liquid lipsticks from Shiseido and Guerlain! Also I love to see how colours look against different skintones, I'm much more medium-toned and yellow-based so Apocaliptic looks somewhat more subdued but still awesome on my skin :D I'm very tempted to get Celestial next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! i've never tried any high end stuff but that sounds promising! :) I love that too :) amazing how different things can look. I imagine apocaliptic would be beautiful with yellow tones! x

      Delete
  5. I really hope these come out in the US soon! I need them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they should be out there soon but they haven't released a date yet :( x

      Delete
  6. I really like them but they do transfer on everything. Really like the look of Apocaliptip and Stellar on you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urgh such a pain in the bum isn't :( the colours are fab! x

      Delete
  7. I hate nude eclipse too! Certainly doesn't look good with my skin tone and accentuates dryness, I also thought it looked quite streaky on my lips. I love the rest though, I only managed to get three as so many were sold out! My favourite shade is nova, I also want to try Luna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it was really weird :( I was quite disappointed. I'm still tempted for Luna but I'm almost certain it wouldn't suit :P x

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous swatches. I just got Big Bang and though I haven't tried it on my lips yet, it looks very promising xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) Looking forward to your review! x

      Delete
  9. I think your right with Apocaliptic being your favourite. I think it definitely suits you 100% looks lovely! I have Celestial and do really like it but the transfer your talking about is rather annoying. I would be tempted to buy one or two more on a 3 for 2 offer maybe :)

    www.nailthelook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awh thank you! It's very out there but totally gorgeous :) x

      Delete
  10. I love mine. I have Celestial and Luna. Celestial is my favourite just because I think the colour suits my skintone more. I do like Luna as an everyday look though xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think celestial is a pretty good all rounder for pale skin tones :) still tempted for Luna! x

      Delete
  11. This is my first time reading the review on these. I have hardly left my place since I broke my ankle so didn't get a chance to check out the new stuff at the store :(
    These look pretty awesome though. I might need to get my hands on one or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should be coming out in the US fairly soon! No date yet though :/ I know I was sorry to hear about your accident lovely! Hope you're on the mend x

      Delete
  12. UGHHHHHHH they NEED to bring these to the states!! There are a couple of colors that I'm dying to have... they look so gorgeous T__T

    Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do! I really want to hear some us bloggers thoughts on these! The colours are to die for x

      Delete
  13. I love the look of Big Bang! :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Apocaliptic is such a beautiful shade! I have Luna and love it x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahh might have to try one now! Celestial looks really nice! :)

    Sparklybluesandrainbowshoes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really recommend having a go with one :) x

      Delete
  16. Hey love! Just stumbled upon your blog and I'm loving it so far. These lip colors are beyond gorgeous and remind me of the NYX Soft Matte Lip Cremes that we have here in the states, I must say though, Big Bang is my absolute fave (I'm a sucker for a red lip) Anyhow, I'm delighted that I found your blog. Keep in touch! xo

    dollfacedisasterbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete